[meteorite-list] Re: Plundering

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

Ari. You miss the whole point of my previous email.
There is no law or reason that prevents anybody to hunt meteorites in the
sahara. In some places like morocco you need export permits from the
ministry of mines (A day and a half process but is procedural and all legal
in natural) but anybody can search and own what they find. The paulistons
have just as much right to be in the desert and search for meteorites as me
and you do (Or Bruno, the labbennes, farmer, the desert nomads and anybody
else who has a valid passport, entry visa or otherwise a legal right to be
in the country that they want to go to - which would have legally excluded
americans from libya while there was a US embargo on a few years ago). The
paulistons have every right to be there and I in no way suggest that they
shouldent be allowed to be there looking. My comment was nothing more than
to one up their "Holier than thou" attitude. I didnt mean for it to be taken
literally.
What the paulistons are trying to do is to use the "Preservation of
scientific interest" arguement to keep the local nomads from searching for
meteorites and keep them from flooding the market with 20 cent a gram
meteorites so that they can get $4 a gram for theirs.
They apear to be not doing as well in desert meteorite hunting and dont seem
to be as good of meteorite hunters and gatherers as other desert meteorite
acquireres like Bruno, farmer and the labbennes and basically cant compete
in a free desert market of meteorites and so are therfore trying to skew the
market in a way that they can keep from starving in the meteorite business
until they learn the ropes of meteorite hunting. (Maybe Bruno or the
labbennes would like to do their charity work for the month and give the
paulistons some lessons in how to hunt for meteorites)
DEAN
PS
Say Richard & Roldand. I bet that you guys have been spending the last few
days crying in your beer and camel piss after reading recent news stories in
the international press about Brunos Lunar (Or was it Brunos SNC?) I cant
remember if it was Brunos SNC or his Lunar anymore that has been in the news
lately. Whatever. It makes no difference. Its something different from what
you guys have found anyway.