[meteorite-list] Cost of Moroccan meteorites

From: Jim <Jim_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

The Americans and Canadians started offering more than just a few cents per
gram and tried to make a distinction between common and more rare material
in the field (however, sometimes you get burned by making such a guess).

This grading of material and offering higher prices is what is disturbing
some of the earlier buyers who bought rare material for pennies per gram and
tried to sell it to you for 100s of dollars per gram. This is what is
making them mad. The prices of all Moroccan meteorites have gone up
considerably, even the common stuff.

When Mike Farmer and I bought NWA 482 in January, the price per gram was so
high that we were chastised by some European dealers for paying so much in
the field. We did not know it was Lunar at the time. We guessed it was a
Howardite or possibly a Eucrite. If it had turned out to be a Eucrite we
would have been lucky to just get our money back. We took a chance. NWA
482 had been offered to French and German dealers before us but they
declined to pay the price. I guess in retrospect they are kicking
themselves for that decision. Would you believe that even after
classification and verification that it was Lunar that Mike was scolded
again in Paris because we paid too much and were driving up the prices.?
Hell, I will pay a fair price for rare material in Morocco or any other
country for rare material.

Best Wishes.........

Jim Strope
421 Fourth Street
Glen Dale, WV 26038

THE FRESHEST AND ONLY ORIENTED LUNAR METEORITE IN THE WORLD:
http://www.nwa482.com