[meteorite-list] Cost of Moroccan meteorites:in $, £,SF,¥,DM or in Lost Science?

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

I was reading archives from the past and thought I'd invite the rest of
you to as well.... Seems the list has reversed their moral convictions
about Hot Desert meteorite fields and the role of collectors and dealers
and nomads. I am taking no shots at anyone nor taking sides-- Save for
Michael Blood's note on ethnocentrism. For real understanding, it is
more realistic to frame judgments in the context of the culture
involved. Versus taking a moralistic view based on your own culture and
shaking your head at the actions of the other party. Bribes maybe best
viewed as "user fees" -- they seem more palatable this way.

Seems when the Sahara really started to open up about a year or two ago,
 the list was ranting about the pillaging of the science and "we were
all going to boycott Saharans because the strewn field data was being
lost". Now we are "assisting the poor nomads by improving their
economy"- adroitly side stepping the issue of lost science. Shirking
our science advocates position, are we avoiding this issue because there
is little directly we can do about the way things are done today? OR are
we feeling guilty for supporting a commerce which in reality -- but
without malice, is hurting science.

Someone speaks up again about the loss of the strewn field data and they
are bashed . Now the list seems to be ignoring the notion that we no
longer need the strewn field data because "we are helping the nomads
survive". (I think any assistance from the outside of their culture is
toxic and the worst words that can be heard by an aborigine is "I am
from the government-- I am here to help you") but my real question is...

Why have we abandoned the notion that strewn field data is important?
Why is advocating strewn field collection data an open door to attack
other differences amongst those who procure the meteorites to our collections?

  I am very uncomfortable with getting the the morality of ethical
collecting, confused with the reality of a free market place.
Advocating the preservation of "collection site/strewn field data"
should not be a club nor a shield in an argument and should remain a
topic of open discussion.

Elton