[meteorite-list] New British fall?

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:34 2004

Hi all,

I'm not sure what to make of this report, especially after all the over-hype
about the other three UK "meteorites" in the news during the last few weeks.
It would be pretty cool if it is the latest British meteorite fall
though.....and a HOT one at that!!
I hear that an expert from the Yorkshire museum already has the meteorite, if
it is indeed a meteorite.....wish the finder had called me first ;-)

"DOG WALKER SPEAKS OF `METEORITE' SHOCK

011346 MAR 10

By Ashley Broadley, PA News

A woman who witnessed what is thought to be a meteorite crashing to earth
spoke today of her shock.

Silvia Mercer said the rock crashed into the ground just yards away from
where she was walking this morning.

"It was very frightening. It was a bit of a shock," said mother-of-two Mrs
Mercer, who works at a local Tesco store.

"I thought my last moments had come. I was very shaken. It could have hit me."

Mrs Mercer was walking her two dogs, Chubby and Annie, when the crater
appeared on the edge of a field close to her home in Hopgrove, near York.

"I heard this terrific bang and then a smaller bang and when I looked around
there was a big cloud of smoke," said Mrs Mercer.

"There was a hole in the ground with smoke bellowing out of it.

"I had no idea what it was. I went to have a look but could not see to the
bottom of the hole. It was quite deep.

"I don't know anything about meteorites but after this I will be quite
interested to know what happens to it."

Army bomb disposal experts from Catterick were at the scene today.

Police had cordoned off the area and stopped traffic from entering Hopgrove
Lane South, where the crater appeared.

The police moved the cordon back further after the object started making
"weird" noises.

PC Peter McCreedy said there was a hole 10 inches in diameter and at least
one metre deep.

"It started making noises, popping and cracking noises, which are not usual.

"Experts from York University have been here with radioactive detection
equipment. The noises are believed to be caused by background radiation."

He said the army was called in after the object started making strange noises.

"We thought it was just a meteorite just hitting the earth," said PC
McCreedy.

"We escalated the response but now it is believed this is a meteorite."

PC McCreedy said that when the army gave the all-clear the rock will be taken
away and examined by experts.

A North Yorkshire police spokeswoman added: "A curator has been down from the
Yorkshire Museum and has identified that we do have a meteorite and a
suitable crater for it to sit in."

The area was cordoned off by police following the incident at 8am today, she
added."

Cheers,
Rob Elliott.
http://fernlea.tripod.com/forsale.html