[meteorite-list] ...speaking of odd names...

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:36 2004

...has anyone ever heard tell of a Hawaiian meteorite; one recovered on or
near the Hawaiian islands? I couldn't find any reference to one, but
that might just be because I don't have my newest database yet :-) One of
our library patrons swore up and down that the ancient Hawaiians had
knowledge of meteorites, but she couldn't confirm where she had heard it.
As a cultural sidelight, the term for "fireball" is "akualele"; it means
"flying god", and usually refers to the mysterious bolides (meteors, swamp
gas, or ???) sometimes seen in the islands.

Garans I will hop on the next available plane over if one falls in Hawaii
(and I'm sure Joseph M. et. al will be doing the same!)

Alooooooooha!
Tracy Latimer