[meteorite-list] Re: hunting

From: colin wade <ceweed_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:40 2004

HI Kelly
I knew I could rely on you to crunch the numbers for me
& thanks for raising some interesting points

The predictions encourage further searching ,,, the dog runs for cover now
if I reach for the metal detector & GPS !

>From what Ive seen , the whole country was sea bed , the hills we have
resulting from folds in the sandstone & chalk deposits .
There are reported finds of shark teeth & flint arrowheads in the area (
others have shown how easy it is to make a fresh arrow head & scatter them
about ) But if people hunted here , presumably the wildlife would have had
to survive without water tankers , & would require a food chain fron
vegeterian to carnivore .
The ground is remarkably fertile given a sprinkling of water ,& when wet the
clay content swells & holds the moisture for ages , is the clay a sign of
previous vegetation ?
We had one year when the rain persisted so much , the local children were
using inflatable dingies in the middle of the country , at the Shahania
camel metropolis .The wild barley fruited twice that year .
Since the loss of the vegetation the wind & sandstorms seem to be the force
for geographic change , Ive even found a Rolls Royce with the paint
sandblasted off one side ... so the chance of finding a good fusion crust is
probably lottery numbers .

The mention of Dilmun brings to mind our only visit to continental europe ,
whilst in spain we met a lovely old lady & forgive me but the name has gone
.... her brother did the illustrations for " in search of dilmun " , which i
think was Bibby's work .She was quite thrilled that someone had heard of
Dilmun , we had stayed at the hotel of the same name whilst in Baharain &
they are keen on unearthing the ancient history .

Thanks again for the info
I'm off to bed to nurse my second cold of 2001 .( puttin a lump o'meteorit
under the pillow to see if it cures it )
all the best
col