[meteorite-list] San Juan Capistrano Meteorite Anniversary

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:40 2004

Hi Jim,

Couple comments on the San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) meteorite
fall from 1973:

> "About the size of a baseball, the meteorite put San Juan
> Capistrano on a rare list, perhaps the only meteorite in
> California spotted in its fall, then found on the ground."

The total known weight from this meteorite is only 56 grams
(2 pieces: 50.5 grams & 5.5 grams), which means the size
was more like that of a golf ball (diameter of 1.14" at 4.5
g/cm^3 = 57.2 grams). The larger piece was found within
hours of the fall. The smaller piece was found about a
month later in a roof gutter.

I concur that to date it is the only known fall from
California.

> Part of the meteorite is on display at the San Juan Institute
> which also puts on classes for kids."

Thanks for this! I was not aware that the San Juan
Institute had a piece of this meteorite.

Cheers,
Rob