[meteorite-list] Meteorite Association

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:40 2004

On Mon, 19 March 2001, ari machiz wrote:

> Hello Steve Schoner and list,
>
> I think the time has come to make some sort of attempt
> at creating a Meteorite Association.
>
> I propose we name this association the Universal
> Meteorite Association on a temporary basis. Anyone who
> would like help make the association accrete should
> e-mail me and just say,
> "Aye" for the UMA.
>
> I don't think I can do much for the formation of the
> association, and I don't know exactly what would take
> place should we form this association, but I don't
> need a telescope to see that it would be beneficial.
>
> Finally, I can only second the motion at this point as
> Steve brought the idea up this time. If you want to
> e-mail him about this, I certainly don't want to try
> and take the lead role, but I said it the last time
> this subject came up. I think it is a good idea. How
> many other people think it is a good idea.
>
> Best regards,
> Ari
> Ari_at_Mediaright.tv

Ari & All...

I am for it. And it does not have to be complicated, nor do I think it has to have "leader."

Because everyone is so inclined to think that everyone else has an agenda, the last efforts came to nothing.

However, if we can cooperate on just two very important issues-- copyright-- and authenticity-- and have a consortium of voting members, with no leader-- then it might come to fruition.

Geoff brought up a very serious issue with regards to copyright infringment... and before that the authenticity issue was out with regards to certain ebay sales.

It is ridiculous that we as a meteoritite collecting community, being as large as we are, do not have a "club" or "association" when just about every other hobby does. (My "agenda" is to see us cooperate-- is that too much to ask?)

Says something about us, as well as them.

Steve Schoner, AMS
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey