[meteorite-list] Re: Alain Carion's shop

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:42 2004

Rob Matson posted:

>Obviously Alain has chosen the perfect location for his
>shop! While Paris will always be a walking city to me,
>it isn't ~that~ small. For two meteorite aficionados
>(present and future) to stumble across his shop by
>accident is pretty remarkable.

Dear Rob and List:

Better make that "three meteorite aficionados." Even better!

Last year I was visiting friends in Paris, in Le Marais. One rainy=20
afternoon we all took a walk across the Seine to the Ile St. Louis,=20
and after stopping for some refreshments in a local bar, I was amazed=20
and delighted to accidentally come across a brightly-lit shop window,=20
packed with excellent Gibeons, Gaos, and so on. I saw Alain Carion's=20
name on the placard, and immediately said that I knew the owner, and=20
that we had to go in and say hello.

It so happened that Alain's son, Louis -- who is a friend of mine --=20
was working in the shop that day. I put on my sunglasses and hat,=20
pulled up my coat collar, sidled into the shop, and started acting in=20
a very suspicious manner. Louis watched me intently for a while,=20
until I walked right up to him and said, "Monsieur Louis Carion!?" He=20
looked at me with puzzlement, and then -- after I took off my=20
sunglasses -- with great surprise!. "Oh, but Geoff! what are you=20
doing in Paris?" he exclaimed.

So, yes, it is a lovely location: one of the most charming old=20
streets in Paris, on the beautiful Ile St. Louis. Definitely worth a=20
visit whilst in Paris, and when there you can pick up a copy of the=20
second edition of Alain's "Les M=E9teorites et Leurs Impacts"=20
("Meteorites and Their Impacts"). It's a lovely book (whether or not=20
one reads French). I like the cover design so much that I made a scan=20
and put it up here, for those who are interested:=20
http://www.notkin.net/temp/alain.htm

I know Alain has a mineral website, but I don't remember the URL. Any=20
collectors who want to order a copy of Alain's book might ask Anne=20
Black at http://www.impactika.com for contact info.

Regards,

Geoff N.

Geoffrey Notkin
Senior Art Director
Stanegate Studios/Notkin.net
P.O. Box 87, Jersey City, NJ 07303

Telephone: (201) 435-8888 Fax: (201) 946-1199

Email: geoking_at_notkin.net ammonite@aol.com
Web: www.notkin.net

A paleontologist has more cause than most to reflect upon time: its=20
measurement, its span, and its consequences.

=20 -- Richard Fortey