[meteorite-list] FAQ question 13

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:42 2004

extraordinary proof. In my inexpert opinion, we're
not there yet. In essence, you would need to prove
beyond any conceivable doubt that there is no natural
inorganic mechanism by which these magnetite structures
could form.

I kind of take issue with that last paragraph. Using the logic of "you have
to prove that it can't happen for it to be true" you could also argue for
quite a few other things as well. I've heard arguments from creationists
that Satan, using all his magical powers, put fossil bones and trilobites
and whatnot in rocks to dilute people's faith in God. Can you prove that
didn't happen? Of course not. Does that mean that's what actually
happened? Pretty good chance not. That just goes to show the weakness in
that reasoning, not my own personal belief in that argument (personally, I'm
all for evolution). By the very nature of it you can't really prove that
something can't be done.
Where do I personally stand on the issue? I'm not sure really. There does
seem to be an awful lot of evidence to back it up but as you stated
yourself, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. That plus, not
only do I not really have enough information to make an informed decision,
even if I did, I don't have the educational back ground or knowledge to make
a very informed decision.
Respectfully,
Rhett Bourland
www.evansville.net/~rbourlan