[meteorite-list] Re: hunting (and radiometric dating)

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:43 2004

Stirling,

Very interesting post, especially the implications that the margin of error with the technique is so great that 13,000 years for the reputed age of Lafayette is-- well let me say dubious.

There are, however, two flaws in your reasoning with regards to the nature of Lafayette.

It is a very porous stone as are the other two Nakhlites. For this reason, it would not last long in the 13,000 freeze thaw cycles over that length of time if the interior became waterlogged.

Also, it has a large amount of olivine, and this is very easily weathered in an earth environment to be reduced to clays. Now, Lafayette does have such clays due to weathering-- However, it has been determined that the weathering occurred on Mars, not on the earth.

No terrestrial weathering consistent with a 13,000 year terrestrial date has been found with regards to the Lafayette Meteorite.

The fusion crust is absolutely fresh, and the weathered grains are truncated by this fusion crust. (Under magnification, such can even be seen in my .87 g fusion crusted specimen http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification/LAFAYETTE.htm ).

So for the uncertainty with respect to the possible margin of error in the age dating techniques, and the obvious circumstantial evidence that Lafayette is a very fresh specimen-- I think it best to disregard the 13,000 year date.

Regards,
Steve Schoner, AMS
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey