[meteorite-list] Researcher Says Tons of the Moon on the Earth; Tektite Events May Have Triggered Extinctions

From: Darryl S. Futrell <futrelds_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:43 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Roman Jirasek <rom_at_look.ca>
To: meteor <meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Saturday, March 24, 2001 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Researcher Says Tons of the Moon on the Earth;
Tektite Events May Have Triggered Extinctions

The welded microtektites that make up all layered tektites (or, Muong
Nong-type tektites) are generally of a brownish-yellowish-greenish color.
However, layered tektites can have no bearing on the overall reflectivity of
the moon because the sheets that they originate from can only form within a
dozen meters or so of a volcanic vent or conduit. Any small glass
pyroclastics ejected further will have cooled to a point where they are
incapable of welding, and fall as loose microtektites. I consider the
Apollo 15 small green volcanic glasses, and the Apollo 17 small orange
volcanic glasses (both types have been shown to be pyroclastic glasses), to
fall into the microtektite catagory. There are other colors of lunar
pyroclastics brought back by Apollo (including a reddish color), plus the
colors of the lunar basalts. So, you can't pin any one color on lunar
volcanic material, Microtektites found on earth also have quite a range of
colors. The surface of the moon is over 50% glass. A mostly pulverized
mixture of impact and volcanic glasses. This surface reflects sunlight.
So, I don't think one can look at the brightness of the moon and conclude
much about the colors of the surface.

Darryl Futrell

>Hi Darryl and List
>
>My question is probably explainable.
>Muong Nong tektites are made of green glass, right?
>Our moon has a higher reflectivity than these tektites, no?
>
>Is the lava from within the moon green? If so why?
>
>Roman Jirasek

O'Keefe