[meteorite-list] superconductivity and meteoritics

From: entropydave <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:43 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C0B61F.259F1D40

Hullo,
Just a thought I had the other day re the fact as that meteoroids spend =
most of their time cooled to just above absolute zero as they fly thru =
space, I thought that there may be some physical effects due to the =
superconductivity of the Fe/Ni alloys that they are made of. If a =
supercooled chunk of iron, passes thru a magnetic field then internal =
currents would be set up which would be sustained by the fact that the =
alloy may be superconductive at this temperature.
I really need a physicist to unpack this for me!
But it seems possible that the effect of this superconducting mass of =
metal would have a number of effects - for example, each lump would have =
a magnetic field around it, which would induce currents in the other =
masses nearby and so on.
How would this phenomenon express itself as the mass came crashing into =
our atmosphere? So many questions!
Not too sure that I have expressed this issue very clearly, but I am =
sure someone on the group will be able to see where I am coming from on =
this!

--=20
In gentle decay,=20
d.=20
 =20
http://www.meteorites.ic24.net/index.html =20

"I have a proof that x^n+y^n=3Dz^n never has integer solutions for n>2.=20
However, it won't fit into my signature file...."=20

 =20

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C0B61F.259F1D40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c0c0c0>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hullo,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Just a thought I had the other day re =
the fact as=20
that meteoroids spend most of their time cooled to just above absolute =
zero as=20
they fly thru space, I thought that there may be some physical effects =
due to=20
the superconductivity of the Fe/Ni alloys that they are made of.&nbsp; =
If a=20
supercooled chunk of iron, passes thru a magnetic field then internal =
currents=20
would be set up which would be sustained by the fact that the alloy may =
be=20
superconductive at this temperature.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I really need a physicist to unpack =
this for=20
me!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But it seems possible that the effect =
of this=20
superconducting mass of metal would have a number of effects - for =
example, each=20
lump would have a magnetic field around it, which would induce currents =
in the=20
other masses nearby and so on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How would this phenomenon express =
itself as the=20
mass came crashing into our atmosphere? So many questions!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Not too sure that I have expressed this =
issue very=20
clearly, but I am sure someone on the group will be able to see where I =
am=20
coming from on this!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-- <BR>In gentle decay, <BR>d. =
<BR>&nbsp; <BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.meteorites.ic24.net/index.html">http://www.meteorites.=
ic24.net/index.html</A>&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"I have a proof that x^n+y^n=3Dz^n =
never has integer=20
solutions for n&gt;2. <BR>However, it won't fit into my signature =
file...."=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; <BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C0B61F.259F1D40--