[meteorite-list] "Antartic" meteorite for sale on Ebay

From: Treiman, Allan <Treiman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:43 2004

Hello List.

   This is not necessarily a fraud. Meteorites have been found in Antarctica
by expedition doing other things -- biology, glaciers, geology. I think that

expeditions are told what to look out for, so they can contribute to the
ANSMET meteorite collections. But someone could have found a meteorite, did
not
turn it over to ANSMET, and is now trying to sell it.
   This is a sticky legal problem, as I understand, because no one is
allowed
to use materials collected in Antarctica except for educational or
scientific
purposes. If this rock is an Antarctic meteorite, and if it sells, the
seller is
in violation of the big Antarctic treaties. The U.S. enforces the treaty on
its
own citizens.
   Ralph Harvey of Case Western Reserve U. runs the ANSMET expeditions,
and what I've written here is what I remember from his telling. He's the one
who will know the law and treaties here.

   Allan Treiman

Allan H. Treiman
Lunar and Planetary Institute
3600 Bay Area Boulevard