[meteorite-list] Fireballs & Optical Delusions (was, "Re: Bright Meteor Seen Over New Hampshire")

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:44 2004

I continue to find people who witnessed the SoCal
Fireball of 2001March25, 8:20PM PST. Tonight over
dinner an acquaintance described what he observed from
his residence on top of Rose Hills near Whittier, CA.

To him the fireball appeared to be "a very bright
white color until near the end of its flight where it
turned an ever deepening shade of yellow." He
insisted upon this following observation. "I saw the
end of the fire ball's flight where it just sputtered
and then promptly extinguished itself. And when this
happened it was already down below my horizon,
somewhere between Palos Verde Hills and Hermosa Beach,
so this thing must have extinguished itself right
above Torrance!"

When I tried to explain to him that many observers
experience an optical illusion when they see a
fireball reach its retardation point, and that when he
saw his fireball extinguish it was by then, probably
200 miles away and around 20 miles above the Pacific
Ocean.

He said, "That's impossible! You've got to be wrong
about that. I SAW it BELOW the horizon!"

That's when the delusion begins.

Bob V.