Fwd: Re: [meteorite-list] Simplified Meteorite Rust treatment

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:21 2004

Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Simplified Meteorite Rust treatment
To: themeteoritesite_at_hotmail.com
From: meteorites_at_space.com
Date: 01 May 2001 12:14:37 PDT

On Tue, 01 May 2001, "The Meteorite Site" wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I understand the process that you are using, but what about the damage
> from soaking the specimen in H20 for two weeks.
>
> Jim
> James Hartman

Another two examples:

I have a very nicely prepaired thin slice of Ahumada that I received from my good friend Darryl Pitt. I noticed one day that it began to ooze little droplets-- time to act!

I made up the solution and left it in it for 3 weeks. All rusting, even on the highly polished surfaces, stopped. The droplets enlarged to odd looking bubbles. I was worried that the crystals on this woudl pop out of a slice only a few mm thick ( and that would be a broblem ). But they did not.

Then after the three week period, I removed the specimen, wiped it off, and found that the large oxide bubles were attached to the piece at the point of their origin, and the surrounding metal was just a polished as before.

I dried the piece, and lightly wiped it off with soft cloth, and it sits on my shelf fine and free of bleeding.

I also did this with Quinginue-- another meteorite that can have rusting problmems.

Cured it.

Steve Schoner, American Meteorite Survey

Join the Space Program: Get FREE E-mail at http://www.space.com.