[meteorite-list] AVIRIS image of Meteor Crater

From: Paul Dudley <pdudley_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:22 2004

>No evidence of shock metamorphism anywhere at Upheaval. I just attended a
>week-long Geological Society of America Field Forum there. We discussed the
>possibilities of it being a crater. The most compelling evidence is the
>structural element itself. However, there has not been to date, a single
>shocked quartz grain found. Nor any impact breccias. You decide. If the
>glove fits....

The structure itself works for the old salt dome theory as well. Oh, for
some shocked quartz, shattercones, or melt breccia.

About a year ago I was given a sample of a sandstone from the structure that
was said to show shock features. Upon examination, I determined that it was
just cleavage in the calcite cement. I dissolved it in acid and checked out
the resulting sand grains. Nothing.
--Paul