[meteorite-list] Visit to LA

From: Fred S. Olsen <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:22 2004

In March, during this year's spring break at Metro State College of Denver
where I teach geology, my friend Larry Johnson, my wife, and I spent a week
searching for meteorites on the Isla del Espiritu Santo in the Sea of
Cortez. My wife and I were able to arrange our schedules to allow us two
extra days to visit my sister and her husband in LA on our way to Mexico

We used one day to visit Ron Hartman and his meteorites at Mt. San Antonio
College. Ron gave us a tour of his really impressive display including his
new lunar rock. Jim Hartman joined us for a brief visit; it was great to
put faces on list members. As a special California style treat we were able
to view the collection, after a short blackout, by light supplied by the
schools own generators. Our visit made me wish for just two things; a
beautiful setting to display my collection, and a great collection to
display. Ron has both, Thanks for sharing! Boy I love his Murray Lake.

. We used the other half-day in quest of some lunar highlands type
anorthosite. OK, so it is only a fairly close earth analog from the San
Gabriel Mountains. My Brother-in-law supplied us with a great geologic
field trip road log to the outcrops. We soon had some nice samples for
comparison (in case I find a lunar). I will have to see if I can put a good
fusion crust on some of this material-----------wouldn't that be a heart
stopper.