[meteorite-list] CCNet Excerpts: Tektites, Plant Burning and Stone tools

From: Darryl S. Futrell <futrelds_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:22 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites@space.com>
To: jonee_at_epix.net <jonee@epix.net>
Cc: Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] CCNet Excerpts: Tektites, Plant Burning and
Stone tools

I count about 27 references claimed to support the terrestrial origin of
tektites. I could come up with about 1,000 pro-terrestrial impact
references, if I went back a few decades. But it would be a total waste of
time. All it demonstrates is what a trap the majority dogma can become when
so many people climb aboard! Sort of like a black hole. Probably every
finding presented in those references can also be explained in the context
of a lunar volcanic origin. If there are any that aren't yet quite
explainable, they will probably have to wait for sample collecting at sites
such as the Aristarchus Plateau and Tycho.

Funny, but at least two of those 27 references you list are actually
pro-lunar!
E. C. T. Chao's USGS Bulletin 2050 is pro-lunar. And that's not the half of
it. I gather he had that Bulletin published because he had a problem
getting his full Barringer Medal Acceptance paper text published in
Meteoritics (1993 March, V 28, pg 31 - only two pgs and no references!
Compare that with the Barringer Acceptance paper by V. E. Barnes in Sept
1990 Meteoritics - over 9 pgs and 140 references!)
Chao listed about 60 references in his Bulletin. For the majority, who
claim a terrestrial origin, he suggested they read several of Dean Chapman
et al.'s papers, and listed them in the references.

You also include Povenmire et al.'s LPSC abstract. What's pro-terrestrial
about that? I have the CDrom for that 1999 meeting, but it won't play in my
computer. However, I can tell you that those Chinese sites listed all fall
within Dean Chapman's Tycho tektite distribution path. So, if anything,
this abstract supports a lunar origin.

Darryl