[meteorite-list] The SNC story - The Dilemma of Distrust and Defamation

From: Mike Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:23 2004

Yes, finally someone else with the cajones to stake what he thinks.
It is funny that most of these problems come from those who missed out
on the rare items. Our new Lunar, NWA 482 has caused a firestorm of
controversy, but only from the other "French" buyers who missed it. I
have had numerous emails, conversations, phone calls, threats etc. from
several FRENCH buyers, but not from ANY other sources, NO Germans have
harassed me, no Italians, no Russians, no one from Czech Republic etc.
Only from several French people who seem to feel that North Africa is
their domain for some unknown reason!
It seem that the basic idea that they are trying to spread is that their
meteorites are good, everyone else' s are BAD! "Don't buy Brunos SNC
Paris,. it is BAD, Don't buy Farmer and Stropes new Lunar, it is BAD, My
stuff is GOOD, buy MINE!"
    Does anyone else find this to be a little annoying and amusing at
the same time?
It seems that someone is sending notices to museums that NWA 482 is not
a good Lunar to get, I wonder who that might be???????
    Science is profiting more then ever right now with the rare items
being discovered. The finders are profiting too, is that wrong? It takes
alot of money to fund these expeditions. Without that money, the
meteorites will lay forever in the sand, and the information that they
give will be lost.

Mike Farmer
http://www.meteoritehunter.com