[meteorite-list] Re: Awesome Photo

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:23 2004

As per the previous discussion regarding the terrestrial age of this meteorite. It was said that the report of it falling was wrong and the terrestrial age was 13,000 years.

Looking at this photo, tell me that this beautiful meteorite sat in the wet soils of Indiana going through 13,000 years of freeze thawing, and terrestrialization.

It was thought to have been a transported Nakhla, but research shows that the weathering state of the Lafayette Meteorite (Martian weathering) is different from Nakhla, as well as minor elements of its composition, so the theory that it is a transported Nakhla has been eliminated.

It is much too fresh for it to have sat on the ground for 13,000 years.

So I think it is logical to let the specimen speak for itself.

This picture is worth more than a thousand words.

The meteorite is fresh, and most likely fell near the finder just as the story Nininger presented tells.

Steve Schoner, AMS