[meteorite-list] Stolen Meteorites

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:24 2004

Dan Wray wrote:

>How is it then that all this stolen Nazi art is
>being repatriated after it
>has changed hands several times "in good faith"?
>Is this something
>indiginous to Pennsylvania as both cases cited
>were in that state? Dan Wray

Dear Dan and list,
  I don't know. I wish I knew how widely applicable
such laws were. They may not apply in Europe. Yet of
course, there are many collectible objects d'art
surfacing now in the estates of former WWII GIs, not
all going back to original European owners.
  I do not know in detail all these laws, but I
strongly suspect Pennsylvania isn't the only state to
have them. I just cited two cases that I personally
knew the veracity of. Can we hear from a legal mind
out there?

Francis