[meteorite-list] (no subject)

From: entropydave <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:24 2004

Hello,
I wonder if you could help me regarding weathering grade...
I have a couple of rocks that are weathering grade 2 (Oum Rokba) andMWA073
with weathering grade 3.
See pics below please!
http://www.meteorites.ic24.net/nwa073.htm

As you can see it apparently has a nice glossy (slightly worn) fusion crust.
I don't have a pic of the Oum Rokba, but it has that finish that seems to be
typical of all the other specimens I have seen.. It seems to have a classic
desert varnish (ie no F/C) yet it's weathering grade is LOWER than the
NWA073.
Am I misunderstanding the process of weathering grading?

Thanks in anticipation for your erudite comments!
--
In gentle decay,
d.