[meteorite-list] cow killer?

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:25 2004

Hello List,

The cow story could well be factual. That said, I would never take this
story based simply on hearsay as an absolute. What was it that was
"apparent" about the meteorite/death connection? There was no mention of
any physical evidence asociated with the cow such as a cut, bump, cow
patty, etc. An autopsy which may have linked the cause of death (heart
failure? blunt force trauma?) to the meteorite fall was evidently not
performed. Could the cow have died of old age during the night even
before the bolide was seen, and was simply misconcluded that it was
killed by the meteorite? In a court of law I doubt that an affidavit
alone would be enough to get either a conviction or an exoneration from
a jury. Although the circumstantial evidence is persuasive, critical
skepticism should never be abandoned.

David