[meteorite-list] Guy Fawkes Day + Shooting Stars?

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:05 2004

Dear Listees:

Today is November the Fifth, beloved by all English schoolchildren,
and affectionately known as "Bonfire night." It commemorates the
unsuccessful attempt by failed revolutionary Guy Fawkes to blow up
the Houses of Parliament in 1605 (known as "The Gunpowder Plot" it
was accidentally foiled by an alert guard who discovered multiple
barrels of gunpowder in Parliament's basement).

Towns all across England traditionally stage their own celebration,
and those in smaller rural villages are particularly colorful. These
events usually involve the construction of an enormous communal
outdoor fire, upon which a straw-filled effigy of Guy Fawkes is
thrown. This dummy is known as "the guy," and is believed to be the
root of the American slang word, "guy."

Immense amounts of fireworks are set off, and much beer and real
cider is consumed. It's all very pagan, and great fun. The biggest
firework displays usually take place on the Saturday night closest to
the Fifth, but pyromaniac kids (such as the young Geoffrey Notkin)
always saved up some rockets for the actual night. As a result, I'm
sure there are many "shooting stars" falling over London right about
now.

I always particularly miss my childhood home on November 5, and I'd
like to wish our English members a safe and happy Bonfire Night.
Somebody please let off a "banger" for me!

Learn more about Guy Fawkes Day, here:
http://www.bcpl.net/~cbladey/guy/html/maina.html

Cheers,

Geoff N.