[meteorite-list] Apollo 11 lunar fragment on eBay

From: Joseph Hum <jkarlhum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:05 2004

Howdy All,

Apart from the quirk where the Smithsonian sold a "bag" with lunar dust;
and the woman whos husband worked for NASA and received a few "crumbs and
"dust"
in a presentation case for his retirement( the FBI confiscated this
material only
to "make" an exception and return it, due to enormous public outcry) it is
ILLEGAL
to privately own or sell APOLLO material, period... It is "public"
property,considered
a national treasure, and rightly so... However, had not lunar meteorites
become
"publically" available in the late 90's; we should have had some specimens
available
for collectors, most folks could give a hoot... Even though the
distribution details
would be problematic, it should have been done, in my humble view of
things...
Or at least legal to own, once distribution details could be worked out...

Anyone?

Best Regards,
Karl

one