[meteorite-list] Fossils and Public Lands (10-23-01)

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:10 2004

Dear Eric, Bob, and List;
I buy, sell and trade fossil fishes, petrified wood, and other local
rocks besides meteorites and Wyoming nephrite jade.
I have a verbal, and non legal gentleman's agreement with the local BLM
district office here (best that I could get then and since...). I am
permitted to purchase estate sale rocks with the intent for resale or
redistribution for commercial purposes (ie trade wood for fossil fishes
which I can sell for money to purchase more meteorites which I then sell
sometimes to buy more jade). I wholesale trade rocks with other shops
when I can as well. I enjoy the barter system for resupply when it is
appropriate.
I have no legal contract with the local BLM and at am the mercy of the
local district BLM manager and his ranger ( this is the same group that
the State BLM district three years ago told me to go ahead and file a
claim if I find a public land meteorite). Within the next year, our
district manager will retire and our ranger will transfer to another
district.
So, I am rather like Moses, wandering around lost, and eating bugs and
honey. I am required to keep two piles of rocks, one which is my
commercial pile and one being my privately collected-for-personal use
only pile. I maintain my chamber of commerce membership and offer
exhibits to the local museums and educational facilities. I maintain a
positive profile in the community and don't get too big in my "hobby"
small business. I make small charatable donations at local events.
I am quite sure that if I were to become a full time rock purveyor and
start harvesting public land wood, or other rocks (meteorites...???),
(jade, fossil fishes~fish come from lease-dig at Kemmerer) without
proper blessing, that it would take twenty-four months of investigation
and I would be in legal proceedings with the Dept. of Interior.
As I see it now, we have enough laws to cover 'most everything, but it
is the interpretation that is vague and subject to the latest regime to
interpret and enforce.
(no shameless adds),
Dave Freeman