[meteorite-list] (no subject)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:10 2004

Good Day List,

Some help please:
In what issue of Meteorite! (now, simply "Meteorite")
did this article by Grossman & Rubin appear. I
thought their "definition of a meteorite" was written
such that it would exclude all tektites, even those
that experienced sub-orbital flight (and
re-entry)during their formation?

Bob V.

[meteorite-list] Any Meteorites of Earth Origin?
Impactika_at_aol.com Impactika@aol.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 01:06:09 EST

In a message dated 11/11/2001 2:37:17 PM Mountain
Standard Time,
meteorites_at_space.com writes:
> Tektites, the Australites in particular are
"terrestrial meteorites."

> Steve Schoner.
> AMS

And Moldavites?????

Anne Black

On Sun, 11 November 2001, Jeff Grossman wrote:

> Alan Rubin and I wrote a definition of "meteorite"
for Meteorite! a while back that allowed for
terrestrial meteorites. Our current thinking is that
the object would have to have left Earth by natural
processes (impact-launching seems the only option,
although this is highly improbable), either by
achieving escape velocity, or by insertion into Earth
orbit via some secondary change to its trajectory (we
want to eliminate material on ballistic paths that
take it immediately back to Earth, e.g., tektites).
If such material later reaccretes to Earth or
> accretes to another body (like the Moon or an
asteroid), we would define this as a terrestrial
meteorite.

> Of course, we already have terrestrial meteorites in
our collections if the well-accepted theory of lunar
formation is correct. But that's just semantics.
There is no evidence for more recent events on Earth
producing terrestrial meteorites.