[meteorite-list] A collection in a slice: chondrite abundances?

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:10 2004

Hello All,

Part 1:
I was playing around with a wonderfully brecciated stone and wondered what
the ranking would be of ordinary chondrites as far as rarity.

Here is a link to a scan of the slice along with some close-up pictures of
some of the interesting regions of this "meteorite collection in a single
slice."

http://aristotle.isu.edu/nwa904/nwa904.htm

If anyone has an interesting observation in this slice, I would be happy to
post another close-up link of the area in question.

Has diogenite-like material been found in a chondrite matrix before?

Part 2:
As far as chondrite types, my guess at the ranking from most rare to least
rare is as follows:

>From most rare
LL4
LL3
LL5
L3
H3
LL6
L4
H4
L5
H6
H5
L6
To least rare

Any other ideas or, even better, does anyone (Bernd?) know some numbers that
would help decide this?

Cheers and happy viewing.

Martin