[meteorite-list] Ordinary Chondrite Statistics

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

Hello All,

To answer my own question about what the abundances of chondrites-by-type
looked like, I built some charts. They are now part of the Global Collection
under the category of Paperwork.

Have a look and let me know if you see anything interesting or if I made any
errors.

Two things I noticed that I would not have suspected is, first, what the
heck is with the LL5s? I do remember that when I was at the JSC Lunar
Receiving Lab where the Antarctic meteorites are housed that one of the
researchers was sick of LL5s because it seemed like almost every other
specimen was an LL5, but boy there are a lot of them. Maybe there was just
one big one that now bears the fruit of pairs?

Also, there is a much higher percentage of LL7s compared to the rest of the
LLs than either the H7s or L7s compared to their groups. Could this be an
artifact of a particular analysis lab that received many desert specimens?

Here is a link to the Paperwork page. If anyone has something to add to this
page, let me know. Bernd's original data is accessible through the link on
the page in case you want to read the numbers I used.

http://aristotle.isu.edu/global_collection/paperwork/paperwork.htm

I might do some of this again using Robert M's stats for non-Antarctic
stones, but that will have to wait. If someone else wants to make charts
with Robert's numbers (Robert?) I would be happy to post them.

Happy viewing and thanks Bernd, Robert and Anne.

Martin

The Global Collection of Meteorites
http://aristotle.isu.edu/global_collection/gc_index.htm