[meteorite-list] Re: Jeff's Response with regard to type 7

From: herbert.raab_at_ris.at <herbert.raab_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman writes:
> Maybe somebody on this list cares to make a
> list of all the candidates, and we can talk
> about what they are.

I don't have a list of candidates, but maybe two
interesting examples. (Interesting for me at least,
because I have them in my collection... :-)

Dhofar 011/014 is classified as LL7 S3 W3 in MB 84,
and a note says that "Chondrules almost completely
absent. Matrix thoroughly recrystallized and
relatively coarse grained."

Also listed in MB 84 is Taouz 002, LL6 S3 W0/1,
with no additional comments. I have to admit that
I have never had the chance to see a thin section
of Taouz 002. But I would describe the slices I
have seen with similar words: Hardly anything that
looks like a relic chondrule, and a very coarse
grained, apparently recrystallized matrix.

It should be much easier to identify any chondrules
by naked eye in Taouz 002 as it is very fresh
whilst Dho 011 is highly weathered. Just by
inspecting hand specimens with the naked eye
(not a highly scientific process, I admit...),
I would say that Taouz makes a better LL7 than
Dho 011 does... :-)

Thanks for any comments,
  Herbert Raab