[meteorite-list] Meteor Clue To End Of Middle East Civilizations

From: FRANK B CRESSY <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

Hello all,
Ran across a short note in "Archaeology" magazine, Nov/Dec 2001
(p. 31), that relates to this thread. The title is, "Rise and Fall of
Cultures: The Secret's in the Sea Salt". It correlates the fall of the
Akkadian civilization in Mesopotamia to the level of atmospheric chlorine
found preserved in Greenland ice cores. The text follows:

     Among the analyses conducted on the Greenland ice cores is the tracking
of chlorine concentrations over the last 10,000 years. Winds draw chlorine
from the ocean surface in the form of NaCl (sea salt) and transport it to
Greenland where it is incorporated in the ice layers. High chlorine levels
in the cores reflect more wintry, stormy conditions --i.e., high winds
capture and carry more chlorine -- while smaller concentrations indicate
mild winters and more dominate summerlike conditions.
    Joining forces with Yale archaeologist Harvy Weiss, Mayewski has used
this measurement to investigate the collapse of Akkadian imperialism in
Mesopotamia around 2200 B.C., or 4,200 years ago. The most dramatic
decrease of NaCl in the 10,000-year-long record occurred at this time.
"Looking at the Greenland record," Mayewski explains, "it turns out the
smallest amount of chlorine in out record is at 4,200 years ago, which
infers the Northern Hemisphere was experiencing extreme summerlike
conditions at this time." In desert areas like Mesopotamia -- where the year
is divided between a wet season and a dry season -- such summerlike
conditions are conducive to prolonged dry seasons, or droughts. Other
paleoclimate studies compliment the Greenland data, suggesting the people of
Mesopotamia were experiencing dramatic climate changes, such as droughts,
around the time that many major Akkadian centers were falling into disuse.
    Mayewski believes the influence of the climatic event 4,200 years ago
may have reached beyond Mesopotamia. "In order for us to find an event of
that magnitude in the ice in Greenland implies this was a very big event, a
remarkable event that must have covered a large area." It's an intriguing
suggestion, the implication of which could occupy researchers throughout the
world for some time. --- End of article

A graph of the chlorine concentration (in ppb) verses time (0 to 10,000
years before present) accompanies the article. Average chlorine values over
the last 10,000 years range from 11 to 13 ppb. At 4,200 years ago chlorine
concentration abruptly fell to nearly 8 ppb.

I wonder if the possible impact in Iraq at this time might have affected
atmospheric chlorine levels described in the above article? If so, I would
have expected the atmospheric chlorine levels to increase as the impact
apparently occurred in a shallow sea which should have put salt directly
into the atmosphere. And if enough ejected "dust" were generated, cooler,
more wintry conditions should also have resulted in an increase in chlorine.
Although these thoughts seem intuitive to me, being neither an atmospheric
scientist nor an impact geologist, they could be completely wrong. Anyone
know or want to speculate how or if the impact crater and abrupt decrease in
atmospheric chlorine might be related?

At any rate, it's an interesting coincidence.
Regards,
Frank