[meteorite-list] glorieta but see this as well!

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

<<There are really three types. Ones that are chock full of olivine, solid
irons with no olivine, and the one that you have pictured with just a few or
a rim of olivine.>>

Brenham shows the same irregular distribution of olivine. U.C.L.A. has a
very nice piece which shows typical olivine throughout half of a large
slice, then runs out and the matrix becomes a typical iron. This shows only
the nonuniformity of olivine. I imagine if we had a large enough
cross-section, say a few feet (!) across, we would see more of this.

We recently sliced (like a loaf of bread) a 12 kilo Campo which is, of
course, classified as a silicated iron. However, we ran into large dark
silicate inclusions several inches across. A thin-section was made and an
analysis was consistent with what one might expect from the mineralogy of
the inclusion. Olivine was a component.
http://vm.mtsac.edu/~RHARTMAN/CAMPO_SI.jpg

What was most interesting, though, was that one slice shows only a single
inclusion, roughly 10-12 mm across, which appears to be a single isolated
yellowish-green olivine crystal.

Here are pictures of (A) the Campo, still in the vice, when the surface of
the slice was first found, but before cutting the backside, and (B) close-up
of the olivine-like inclusion (still in the saw).

http://vm.mtsac.edu/~RHARTMAN/CAMPO_OL.jpg

Ron Hartman
www.meteorite1.com
(now with membrane boxes in inventory...disgustingly embarrassing plug...why
not!) :=)