[meteorite-list] glorieta

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

On Fri, 16 November 2001, "meteorite1.net" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I thought that I would share a pic of a Glorieta iron with you.
>
> www.meteorite1.net /
> http://home.talkcity.com/Route66/meteorite1/Glorietta.html
>
> Jim

I found this specimen in 1998 and it was one of the larger ones at 775 grams. It was found at a depth of 3 feet.

It has a terrific pattern that is all and all Glorieta. Also, I see in the photo of the etched surface along the edge what looks like an "a2" zone.

This is caused by heating and is a component of the fusion crust. I think in irons the crust is divided into three components. 1) and oxide coat. 2) a melt zone and 3) a heat alteration zone.

If my what I see is correct then the heat alteration zone is visible along the edge of this specimen.

What a beauty it is!

Regards,
Steve Schoner
American Meteorite Survey