[meteorite-list] Leonids from the UK. Or not.

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

--part1_128.7bb49aa.29283f04_boundary

Well, it's 10.10pm here, and I should be gathering kit for a Leonid-watching
expedition up into the Cumbrian fells. My astronomy society has had it
planned for a couple of months now - assemble at the site from 11pm, with a
dozen cameras and telescopes etc, and stay until dawn - but for the past TWO
DAYS now the whole of the UK has been covered by a thick, thick blanket of
cloud, and the sky over my town, and over the whole country, looks like the
inside of a planetarium dome before the lights go down. And the forecast for
tonight is for that cloud to stay unbroken... and for it to sit there for the
next two days too. We're going to see nothing.

Again.

Which is more than a *little* frustrating, seeing as I've spent the last week
writing pieces for the paper, and for local TV stations' weather reports, and
giving radio interviews, telling people all about it... :-/

So, all I can do is wish all my List friends over there in the US the best of
luck for tonight. *Your* tonight, that is. Me? I'm going to watch the BBC's
delayed coverage of the CMA Awards, then set my alarm for "God, is *that* the
time?!" and see if a miracle happens before dawn. You never know. But right
now I can't shake the idea that there are Greek-style gods up there above the
clouds laughing their toga-covered butts off at us here in the UK, you know?

Count those shooting stars for us guys, okay?

Stu

------------------------------------
www.stuartatkinson.com

--part1_128.7bb49aa.29283f04_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Well, it's 10.10pm here, and I should be gathering kit for a Leonid-watching expedition up into the Cumbrian fells. My astronomy society has had it planned for a couple of months now - assemble at the site from 11pm, with a dozen cameras and telescopes etc, and stay until dawn - but for the past TWO DAYS now the whole of the UK has been covered by a thick, thick blanket of cloud, and the sky over my town, and over the whole country, looks like the inside of a planetarium dome before the lights go down. And the forecast for tonight is for that cloud to stay unbroken... and for it to sit there for the next two days too. We're going to see nothing.
<BR>
<BR>Again.
<BR>
<BR>Which is more than a *little* frustrating, seeing as I've spent the last week writing pieces for the paper, and for local TV stations' weather reports, and giving radio interviews, telling people all about it... :-/
<BR>
<BR>So, all I can do is wish all my List friends over there in the US the best of luck for tonight. *Your* tonight, that is. Me? I'm going to watch the BBC's delayed coverage of the CMA Awards, then set my alarm for "God, is *that* the time?!" and see if a miracle happens before dawn. You never know. But right now I can't shake the idea that there are Greek-style gods up there above the clouds laughing their toga-covered butts off at us here in the UK, you know?
<BR>
<BR>Count those shooting stars for us guys, okay?
<BR>
<BR>Stu
<BR>
<BR>www.stuartatkinson.com