[meteorite-list] question

From: Mikestockj_at_aol.com <Mikestockj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:04 2004

--part1_6b.1ce6c0dd.29120540_boundary

Hi Dave
In our book "Meteorites from A to Z" there are 3317 listed as unnumbered
Saharan and Antarctic meteorites. It includes only 4 Antarctic and a few
unnumbered Saharan meteorites. This is updated to Dec. 31, 2000. I would
guess with new ones listed in the last Meteoritical Bulletin the number is
close to 3350. Not to muddy the waters but there are several meteorites that
no known specimens exist. So for round figures you could probably use 3000.
Additionally there are about 400 numbered between Australia and New Mexico.
My assumption is that you are really referring to the numbered meteorites.
This would put the number at 2600 that could be in private collections.
In the numbered Saharan section of the book we list about 2000. I would guess
that there have been an additional 1000 added in the last year. If you don't
believe me we only have the NWA's listed to 059! This would put the Saharans
at 3000, and the desert total at 3400. Of course lots of these are paired.
The total number for desert meteorites could only be a guess but is probably
around 2500 (remember it's only a guess on my part). That would put the total
of all meteorites outside Antarctica at 6000 with individual names and
approximately 5100 distinct finds/falls.

Mike

Mike Jensen
Bill Jensen
Jensen Meteorites
8503 W. Mtn. View LN
Littleton CO 80125
303-337-4361
Web Site: www.jensenmeteorites.com
 <A HREF="http://jensenmeteorites.com/">Jensen Meteorites</A>

--part1_6b.1ce6c0dd.29120540_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Hi Dave
<BR>In our book "Meteorites from A to Z" there are 3317 listed as unnumbered Saharan and Antarctic meteorites. It includes only 4 Antarctic and a few unnumbered Saharan meteorites. This is updated to Dec. 31, 2000. I would guess with new ones listed in the last Meteoritical Bulletin the number is close to 3350. Not to muddy the waters but there are several meteorites that no known specimens exist. So for round figures you could probably use 3000. Additionally there are about 400 numbered between Australia and New Mexico. My assumption is that you are really referring to the numbered meteorites. This would put the number at 2600 that <U>could </U>be in private collections.
<BR>In the numbered Saharan section of the book we list about 2000. I would guess that there have been an additional 1000 added in the last year. If you don't believe me we only have the NWA's listed to 059! This would put the Saharans at 3000, and the desert total at 3400. Of course lots of these are paired. The total number for desert meteorites could only be a guess but is probably around 2500 (remember it's only a guess on my part). That would put the total of all meteorites outside Antarctica at 6000 with individual names and approximately 5100 distinct finds/falls.
<BR>
<BR>Mike
<BR>
<BR>Mike Jensen