[meteorite-list] New member

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:09 2004

Sid Ferreira wrote:

> Hello list members, I am new to this list and
> look forward to learning about meteorites!

Hi Sid and welcome to our "List Family of Meteorite Buffs"!

> Is there an archive I can visit?

Yes, there is - an "OLD" archive and a "NEW" one:

1) OLD: http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html

> Can someone suggest a good starting point for a beginner
> interested in learning more about meteorites?

Hardly anyone of us can do without:

a) O.R. Norton's Rocks From Space, 2nd edition, 1998.
b) Harry McSween's Meteorites and Their Parent Planets, 2nd ed., 1999.
c) Joel Schiff's and/or John Walter's quarterlies of meteorites.
d) The British Catalogue of Meteorites by Dr. Monica Grady,
    5th edition + CD-Rom.

Best wishes,

Bernd (from Germany)

P.S.: By the way, several of our list members (like Ginger or myself)
are also keen amateur astronomers with subscriptions to Sky & Telescope
and other astronomy journals, or have a telescope. Mine is a C-8 with
a C-5 mounted piggyback.