[meteorite-list] Fireball Sighting in NY

From: Bosn5_at_aol.com <Bosn5_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:09 2004

--part1_15b.1dee99f.28ea6926_boundary

Dear List,

     I am pleased to report a sighting of a very bright fireball over eastern
NY at about 8:25 eastern time, tonight (10/1/01).

     It seemed to be travelling from south to north, generally. Not sure how
high in the atmosphere but it's angle to my view was very close to a full
moon which was rising (still rather low in relation to horizon) and it was
still very visible in spite of the excessive light from the moon.

     Color was blue/green mostly with some white. There was a distant report
(perhaps a boom) several seconds later. The trajectory put it about along
the line of our Hudson River, moving from south to north. It also moved
mostly behind high clouds, which would also attest to a very bright meteor.

     Hope someone else saw it too.

Regards, Art Scarselli.

--part1_15b.1dee99f.28ea6926_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT COLOR="#000040" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Century Gothic" LANG="0"><B>Dear List,
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I am pleased to report a sighting of a very bright fireball over eastern NY at about 8:25 eastern time, tonight (10/1/01).
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It seemed to be travelling from south to north, generally. &nbsp;Not sure how high in the atmosphere but it's angle to my view was very close to a full moon which was rising (still rather low in relation to horizon) and it was still very visible in spite of the excessive light from the moon.
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Color was blue/green mostly with some white. &nbsp;There was a distant report (perhaps a boom) several seconds later. &nbsp;The trajectory put it about along the line of our Hudson River, moving from south to north. &nbsp;It also moved mostly behind high clouds, which would also attest to a very bright meteor.
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope someone else saw it too.
<BR>
<BR>Regards, Art Scarselli. &nbsp;</B></FONT></HTML>

--part1_15b.1dee99f.28ea6926_boundary--