[meteorite-list] Mars rocks

From: CMcdon0923_at_aol.com <CMcdon0923_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:10 2004

> I respectfully dissagree - we DO know - they look like all the SNCs. Best wishes, Michael >

I meant non-meteoritic (sic?) "Mars rocks", same as the Apollo samples versus Lunar meteorites.

I think his main question was why aren't they reddish in color, and the answer several of us proposed was that the reddish tint we observe (iron oxide) is probably just a "coating". The SNCs' internal colors you mentioned may help reinforce the point that "deep down" where they probably came from, they do represent the color of the material. And even if they were red on the outside when they left Mars and the whole time they wandered in space, re-entry into our atmosphere took care of that. Just another reason why we need to send a probe, or physically go there and bring back samples!

Craig