[meteorite-list] Telescope (off topic)

From: George Blahun Jr. <ks1u_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:11 2004

David:
     Hello. While the scope is of decent quality, a general rule amongst
amateur astronomers is to buy the largest aperture you can afford. The
light gathering power of a 60 or even 90 mm scope is not going to be useful
beyond viewing bright objects in the solar system. Even a multi thousand
dollar scope like a Takahashi or Astro Physics is going to limit your
comfortable viewing to bright objects if it is only 3 or 4 inches in
diameter. I am currently building a 12.5 inch f/4 Newtonian reflector ( my
first attempt at building one). It was the largest aperture I felt I was
willing to gamble on making myself.
     If you are satisfied with viewing bright objects and the telescope is a
good price then you should buy it. If you want to look at deep sky objects
you'll likely be disappointed. Of course you could always resell it if it
didn't meet your expectations. If possible try to get a trial period before
buying it. Good luck.

George