[meteorite-list] Wildfire Cluster Probed

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:11 2004

Hi Martin,

Speed of a fall has everything to do with heat build up and why the Space Shuttles come down hot (on the bottom of their tiles anyway). Most of
the sat debris would probably be traveling along 17,000 miles an hour (perhaps slower by the time the atmospheric drag brings it down). Compare
that to a typical fall of a meteoroid that falls at 17 miles a second or faster (4 to 15 times faster). The length of time of the fall and the
ablation process should make the difference. Not to say all would be white hot by the time it reaches the ground.

--AL