[meteorite-list] Telescope (off topic)

From: trandall_at_smtp.idsi.net <trandall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:11 2004

>Hi gang,
>
>I've finally decided to break down and buy a telescope to see where all these
>wonderful meteorites come from. I've found what looks like a great deal on a
>Meade ETX-60AT telescope with their Autostar tracking system. Does
>anyone know
>anything about this telescope?
>
>David Hardy

   I would recommend at least something 6-8 inches in diameter if you
want to view "deep sky" objects like nebula, galaxies, globulars,
etc. Small scopes are o.k. for planets, the moon and stars but
typically you need more light gathering ability for everything else.
Orion makes very good dobsonians in the 6-8 inch range for instance
and they are quite reasonably priced. I myself own a coulter 13.1"
dob, a Celestron Nexstar 5 and an old Meade 2045.

Tom Randall