[meteorite-list] Chondrite formation & FeNi

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:13 2004

Steve Witt wrote:

> why don't we see round and semi-round chrondritic shaped FeNi inclusions in chondrites?

Hello Steve and List,

The CB grouplet of chondrites, which represent the most
primitive, metal-rich chondritic material we presently
have (Bencubbin, Weatherford, HaH 237 and QUE 94411
(paired with QUE 94627), are just such candidates.

M.K.Weisberg et al. even mention "sub-round"
metal clasts in Bencubbin and Weatherford :

WEISBERG M.K. et al. (2001) A new metal-rich chondrite
grouplet - CB chondrites (MAPS 36-3, 2001, pp. 401-418):

" ... Both metal and silicate occur as centimeter
-sized, angular to sub-round, clasts."

Take a look at Serguei Vassiliev's wonderful HaH 237 slice on Martin's
Global Collection page and marvel about the meteorite's round chondrules
which are excessively rich in FeNi!

http://aristotle.isu.edu/global_collection/favorites/gc_favorite11.htm

Best wishes

Bernd