[meteorite-list] Farmington

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:14 2004

Wow, how is it that even when you get one question answered you come up with
two new ones? Anyways, here you go. See if you can answer these. Please
remember though that I am not a professional researcher so some of this may
sound kind of out there.
I've heard before that Farmington was probally part of a meteoroid stream
(which was the main reason I purchased a slice of it for my collection) that
was observed to have impacted the moon. The fall date of this meteorite was
June 28, 1890. If I'm not mistaken this would make it part of the Taurid
stream. I've also heard that its suspected that the impactor that caused
the Tunguska event could have been part of the Taurid meteroid stream as
well as its fall date was June 30, 1908. Some of the more recent research
of the Tunguska event has suggested that it was caused by a stony body. Now
that I've got that out of the ways, my questions are is it possible that my
assumptions are correct and that Farmington and Tunguska are from the same
source? It would seem a good way to help prove or disprove would be to
check and see what other meteorites have fallen in the same time period to
see if there are any other L5's out there. Another question would be if
Tunguska really was part of this stream then wouldn't a good place to look
for potentially hazardous impactors be in the orbits of known meteoroid
streams (especially the Taurids)?
Comments anyone?
Thanks,
Rhett Bourland