[meteorite-list] Wonderful Orgueil Picture on MAPS

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:14 2004

Hello All,

There is a wonderful color photograph of a 2.5kg Orgueil fragment on the
cover of the latest issue of Meteoritics and Planetary Science. The fragment
is sealed inside a bell jar since who knows when.

If my measurements are correct, the fragment is about 13cm wide by 10.5cm
high. It really makes my 3.3g fragment of Orgueil seem tiny.

However, if: 1) I assume my guess as to the size is correct, and 2) its
width and length are the same, then a very rough volume would be about
1775cm^3. If the sample really does have the mass of 2500g, then the density
for this piece of Orgueil is about 1.4g/cc. Does this seem correct? Does
anyone (by anyone I mean Bernd) know the density of Orgueil?

The best picture of the cover of MAPS I could find on the net is at:

http://www.uark.edu/~meteor/abs&toc.htm#2001

If anyone knows of a better one, please share it with us.

Happy dreaming!

Martin