[meteorite-list] "The Incredible Shrinking Meteorite"

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:55 2004

Well, maybe I should have entitled it "The Incredible Exploding Meteorite".

Recently I was quietly reading riveting meteorite-list posts into the wee
hours of the night, when I heard a "clunk" from the general vicinity of my
bookcase. Looking around I saw what USED to be a softball-sized Nantan,
which was now a essentially a pile of rubble. I live near the Pacific and
Nantan is the Queen of the rust-buckets as we all know, so maybe even more
careful curation than I afforded it might not have prevented the inevitable.
It appears to have destroyed itself from the inside out, the center was
practically just rusty powder, the outside was the only thing holding it
together. Those who like pro wrestling, auto races, or Lethal Weapon movies
might "enjoy" the photo. ;-) Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, I guess.

http://sharkkb8.tripod.com/meteorites/explodingnantan.jpg

Gregory