[meteorite-list] Tucson Ring continued

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:57 2004

Gergory wrote:

> It is entitled "Scientific American Supplement" and is
> dated 21 October 1876, and refers tantalizingly to an
> unnamed "Exhibition" in New York.

Hello Gregory and List,

As I had already stated last night, the only exhibition in 1876 was
the "Centennial Exposition" in Philadelphia. So, "Meteorites at the
Exposition" (Scientific American Supplement, 21 Oct. 1876, p. 761)
refers to one of the rare occasions when the Tuscon Ring Iron was
on loan for temporary display. One such occasion was the 1876
Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia to celebrate 100 years of
American independence from (Sorry, Rob :-) British rule.

> There is an engraving of the Tucson Ring, which the
> article refers to as the "Irwin-Ainsa meteorite"

Does this engraving show a large, irregular, knoblike protrusion into
the opening of the ring. If so, it is Bartlett's sketch of 1852. This
"knob" is no longer there as it was removed for scientific analyses.

> isn't it a little too coincidental that the Tucson Ring was shipped
> "by Tucson freighter Augustin Ainsa", the same name as the Spanish
> explorer who supposedly discovered it 126 years earlier (J.B. Ainsa)

The Anza family was large and its members in the New World were very
prominent and influential Spanish military officers. Their genealogy
easily fills more than a 12 by 8 inch piece of paper. They even played
a role in the notorious and fateful "Crabb Expedition" of 1857, when
Mexico was invaded by Americans. When it was over, the Ainsa brothers
Jesus and Santiago were considered "personae non gratae" both in Mexico
and in the U.S.A.

Best wishes,

Bernd