[meteorite-list] Your permission needed

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:58 2004

Dear List,

Germany still is severely shocked about yesterday's incidents. Radio
stations have people call them so they can express their condolences to
Americans, express their grief and vent their anger. Some of you may
know that I am a teacher. When I came to school in the morning after
only 3 hours of sleep because I had been following the events live on
CNN International, our principal told us to discuss what happened if
pupils and students wanted to talk about it. Tomorrow I will be teaching
18-year-old students. Now what should I present to start a discussion?
The online version of the CNN news, the online information of the New
York Times? I would like to "use" some of your contributions instead. As
you will see below, I have left out any names and replaced them by X, Y,
etc. Sometimes, I have left out some details of your mails in view of
the fact that a lesson here in Germany is only 45 minutes.

If you recognize your contribution and don't want it included, please,
let me know as soon as possible, as I still have to print the material
and make 20 copies for school tomorrow. I will surely be up until about
midnight local time (about 18:00 New York Time).

Best wishes,

Bernd

01) Subject: Report from New York / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:24:35
-0400

Dear Listees: Here in Jersey City we are just over a mile away from what
was the World Trade Center, and all of the eastern sky is covered with
smoke. We saw the second tower collapse from the bank of the Hudson. It
was a terrible sight. The entire area is being sealed off by police, as
survivors are coming out of Manhattan by ferry and brought to shore near
our house. List member X's office is in midtown NYC (several miles north
of the disaster), so we will hope and assume that he is okay. List
member Y works outside of NYC, and we assume the same for him. We are
okay here, but phone lines are swamped, so you may not hear from us for
a while. I will keep this short, as we are trying to reach friends and
relatives in the area.

02) Subject: September 11 / Date: 11 Sep 2001 10:09:20 -0700

This is another day of infamy for the United States and the world. On
this day, and in the days to come collectibles meteorites do not matter.
Some of us may be called up in military action soon to follow. We were
challenged by the forces of tyranny 60 years ago, and we prevailed. We
must stand solidly behind them, our boys who may be called to defend our
nation. And we must stand fast in our resolve to rid the world of the
scum that perpetrated this horrendous and cowardly act. We will prevail.

03) Subject: Report from New York / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:28:54 EDT

Dear Listees: As most of you have seen, New York City, among other
places in the US, has been devastated by a terrorist attack. I've just
gotten off the phone with list member X, who had a view of the World
Trade centers as they collapsed. I have a close friend working in that
building, and have not heard anything from him, but we are still waiting
to hear if they were able to evacuate some of the people working in the
Trade Center before they collapsed. Everything is shut down here in the
NY area, all the kids are being sent home from school. There are still
many parents that work in the city that aren't able to get back to pick
up their kids. It's a mess here now, but that is nothing compared to the
tragic deaths of possibly thousands of people working in the Trade
Center, and on the airplanes that were hijacked. Our hearts go out to
the people who've lost loved ones today.

04) Subject: --- / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:14:07 +0200

Whoever committed this atrocious crime against humanity will experience
their very personal Pearl Harbor - sooner or later ... here on Earth or
somewhere else. A sad day, a shameful day for all humankind. Shocked,
paralyzed and feeling sick at heart.

05) Subject: NY today / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:22:16 +0100

to all list members, our heartfelt condolences to all those who have and
will be suffering as a result of the despicable and cowardly actions I
had the misfortune to witness on the news today. There are no words that
I can convey to express how I felt as I saw the scenarios unfold in your
country this afternoon. There are also no words I could say to those
perpetrators of this vile deed, except that their callous disregard for
human life will ensure that whatever god they purport to follow, they
will rot in hell for all eternity for that act of carnage. Of that I
have no doubt. And whatever God you follow - I hope it has protected you
and yours, especially the poor souls in N.Y.

06) Subject: X is OK / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:04:34 -1000 (HST)

Our prayers go out from HI as well ... The worst thing is the
helplessness. We are effectively isolated, with all air traffic shut
down; I don't even know if we could send blood and medical supplies and
personnel if needed. This will be a date in many people's minds
comparable to the day JFK was shot, Pearl Harbor was attacked, or the
Challenger shuttle blew up. "Where were you when..."

07) Subject: US Attack / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:58:18 -0400

Hello Everyone, This is nothing short of an act of war and I hope the US
government treats it as such. Not only were these acts atrocious, we are
beginning to see bomb threats here locally. The ... office, which is a
couple of blocks over from my office, received a bomb threat and a day
care filled with kids is next door. The day care and surrounding area
has just been evacuated and the police and FBI are combing the area. A
police officer just showed up at my door. Gotta go.

08) Subject: First Blood / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:08:15 -0700

In reading the numerous posts to the list regarding the recent attack on
the US, the response from many is that words cannot describe the events
of the day. I've got a few. Sickening, malignant, craven, malevolent,
inhuman, ... An attack of this nature represents years of planning,
training pilots, memorizing flight plans, millions of dollars and
flawless choreography ... Nothing less than an act of war. Where they
have failed, however, is in knowing that despite ... our indecision in
selecting a leader this year, the crime and the controversy, we are ONE
NATION. In a time so bleak, we will not scatter like ants trying to save
ourselves. We will, as we have in the past, unite as a unified republic
and swiftly rain Hell on the perpetrators of this ... Now I don't find
myself to be an excessively patriotic person, I didn't serve in the
military, I don't even own a flag. But when something like this happens
... My life has been devoted to medicine, I will not even kill a spider
living in my house, but I WOULD NEVER GROW TIRED OF MAKING THOSE
RESPONSIBLE SUFFER. Today and the next few weeks will be remembered by
the gods of history. Thanks for letting me vent. Glad we as a group are
intact.

09)Subject: wtc / september 11, 2001 / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:44:50
EDT

dear list - thanks for the outpouring of inquiries. it has been
completely surreal here. i used an old press pass to get close. i can
tell you that i'm in awe of both the extent of destruction and the acts
of heroism that i've learned about today and which we will certainly be
hearing about in the days ahead ... personal connections. two dear
friends are unaccounted for. one is a new father...the other i was to
see on thursday. a neighbor who i barely knew is missing. when i went to
school to pick up my girlfriend's daughter, it was heartbreaking to see
so many kids crying because one or both parents work downtown. a friend
was nearly hysterical from having seen several people jump from seventy
stories up. strangely, all of this news is tempered by the magnitude of
today's events. like many of you, i'm numb. it's completely surreal.
what occurred today is, by any measure, barbaric ... only when there is
respect for life, in THIS life, by all cultures, only then can we
achieve the promise of humanity. until then, for those of you who, like
me, place an emphasis on the here and now, may the fates treat us and
those near and dear to us kindly. with a prayer for the grieving, those
who are fighting to live and those waiting at this very moment to be
rescued from the insanity which has forever blackened this day. and with
a prayer for the innocents in the line of fire tomorrow. goodnight.

10) Subject: Sleeping Giant / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:05:57 -1000
(HST)

I have never considered myself very patriotic; I wouldn't even be
subject to the draft if it should arise (wrong gender), but I do know 2
things about today's calamity: (1) The US should use every reasonable
method at its disposal to ACCURATELY find out the guilty party(ies).
When guilt is established beyond reasonable doubt, (2) Come down on the
evildoers with both feet. HARD. The black box recorder from the crash
in PA should still be intact and accessible, not buried under tons of
rubble. Wonder what we'll find from it?

11) Subject: today / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:14:35 -0800

May this day make all of us appreciate what we have and what we could so
easily lose in the blink of an eye. Then it will not have been for
nothing. Dostoyevsky said that the true battlefield is in the heart of
man. How sad that humankind is capable of such things. I am going to go
hug my children and remind my husband how much I love him. Then I will
pray for the strength of today's survivors.

12) Subject: condolences / Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:19:07 +0200

I send my deepest condolences to my american friends. I think this
coward terrorist attack was against the whole free word. These monsters
have to been punished ... We here in Israel are suffering from the Islam
terror all the time, and I have to tell you that yesterday we saw
Palestinians in the streets dancing and laughing ... The Islam, like
Fascism in WWII, just want to erase us.

13) Subject: condolences / Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 23:27:24 -0700

X , anyone who dances and cheers the deaths of thousands of people is
not a human being, but an animal. No god would ever want that, anyone
who believes that, is an idiot. It seems that the time to react to the
last years violence is now. Very late in coming. Punishment is coming,
there is little doubt of that.

14) Subject: WTC Tragedy / Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:39:49 EDT

Dear List friends: I wish to thank all who have sent me email since the
tragedies of yesterday. X and I are fine and did not go to the city
yesterday as planned, thank God. I am "missing" two family members in
the WTC (they worked there) and we wait and pray that they are alive
but have not any news as yet. We have over 75 family members in the city
and still wait to hear from many ... the families we have heard from so
far are all in complete shock and stunned into a deep sadness. Many had
to walk across the bridge from Manhattan to reach help. We have family
and friends who are Firemen and Policemen ... several of whom are also
missing. We are in shock ... it has been a very long night ... the phone
lines are "locked-up"... and we do pray for all the families involved. A
very mournful X

15) Subject: Terrorism acts / Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:20:05 EDT

Dear all, our sympathies to everyone touched by the evil and horror that
came to America yesterday. We're all completely shocked and stunned by
the events in NY and Washington and couldn't believe what we were
watching live on tv. We're no strangers to the evil acts of terrorism
here in Britain - it's been with us for so long now that I can't even
remember when it all first started, though the threat still continues to
this day. As a kid living in London, we even had to watch our mail in
case some sick mind had mailed a letterbomb to us ... women and children
were all considered fair targets by these fanatics. I doubt if much of
the latter day bombings in Britain reach the news in the States these
days, but the resolve of not yielding to terrorism is as strong here
today as it's ever been. Our best wishes to you all.

16) Subject: Situation in Washington, D.C. / Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001
13:53:25 -0400

Hi again list, Things are looking better in Washington, D.C. We are
picking up the pieces and getting on with the business of government and
support for all the families and loved ones. We are all reassured that
this great society will endure and appropriate actions will take place.
It was sobering last night though. Outside was a cool, crisp, moonless
night. A perfect night for sky viewing with no commercial air traffic in
sight. However, military jet aircraft were visibly patrolling the skies
around D.C. When was the last time an American city had to have an air
cover canopy? I'm reading the emails and I too feel the rage. We must
remain calm and take action where appropriate and to whom appropriate.
Let's not be too eager to lump people or religion onto the same class as
these cowards. Vengeance may be a patient animal. Still dazed and
heartbroken.