[meteorite-list] Tulia (a)

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:01 2004

Frank wrote:

> I recently acquired a thin section of Tulia (a) which is classified
> in the COM as a brecciated H3/4. It is being sold as this from several
> dealers. Under the scope, however, it appears my Tulia (a) is a higher
> petrographic grade than a 3 or 4. The chondrule boundaries aren't very
> sharp and everything appears somewhat recrystallized. After looking at
> the thin section, I vaguely remembered reading somewhere that Tulia (a)
> might have been misclassified due to a mix-up with another meteorite.

Hi Frank and List,

There is a Tulia (a), a brecciated H3-4 and Tulia (b), an L6 chondrite.
But such a large number of stones were found in the Tulia-Dimmitt area,
that some may actually be Dimmitt stones (H4 regolith breccia). Maybe
the following reference may be useful:

HUSS G.I. (1982) Sorting out the many falls of the
Tulia-Dimmitt area (Meteoritics 17, 1982, 229-230).