[meteorite-list] Re:Silica Gel Drying

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:02 2004

Microwave ovens can be used to restore silica gel, but there are a few=20
things you need to watch for.

First of all, microwave ovens are not all the same. Where one oven might=20
do the job correctly when set at 5 minutes, a different brand or model of=20
oven might burn the silica gel beads. I recommend starting out with one=20
(1) minute increments until you find the correct time. This can be tricky=
=20
with non-indicating silica gel because there is no color change to=20
observe. However, you can place a small amount of the indicating beads=20
(which should be pink, indicating they are saturated) in with the=20
non-indicating material. These pink beads will turn blue when the moisture=
=20
have been removed from them.

Finally, microwaves can burn silica gel beads very quickly. That's why I=20
recommend doing the process in one minute steps.

John